Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Ketchup days and butter days

nearly empty sauce bottles
Usually in the morning, my Pan makes himself a cheese sandwich before running off to work. Usually, it's Norvegia cheese and butter and nice bread. But sometimes, if it's been a particularly bumpy night, if Magnus has been up or sick or fussy, if there's a deadline at work, if he's late already, if the stack of bills is tall, he substitutes the butter for ketchup. Cheese, bread and ketchup.

So if I come into the kitchen and the red bottle sits on the counter, I know. Uh oh. It's a ketchup day.

Lately, there's been a lot of those, not only for Pan, but for Magnus and me, too. Viruses galore. Asthma. Hospitals. Eye problems. Messy house, messy work, messy nights and ketchup days.

All right, spring. Bring on the butter.

Sprett

Photos: Minimalist101, Line

5 comments:

Li:ne said...

The funny thing about the ketchup/butter thing is the look of joy on Magnus' face when we say the word ketchup.

He obviously knows nothing of butter.

tone almhjell said...

I also love how he says ketchup: chuptke.

Christina said...

I hope that all three of you have a lot more butter days and a lot fewer ketchup days in the weeks and months to come.

bronwyn said...

I feel like there have been a lot of ketchup days going around the internet. I know I've had my fair share. Wishing you many butter days to come.

Heidi said...

For me it would be the reverse. Maybe it's just my American-ness, but I lurrrrrrrrrve ketchup. When I was a kid, I think I put ketchup on everything. EV.ER.Y.THING. These days I try to limit it to fried potatoes, but it's hard to see things like grilled cheese sandwiches and not think, "ooh. Ketchup would be good on that."